Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April showers also bring the need to read.

April's goal kind of decided itself.  This month my mind has been distracted and foggy, yet I found myself doing something I've never done before and I decided to use it as my monthly goal.  I've been burying myself in books.  Not literally, but I have been reading them, and a lot of them (at least for me).

If you know me well, you know that while I often have great aspirations for reading, I struggle to get past the 1st chapter in most books.  I'm more of a magazine reader.  In fact, I love my magazines.  I like the colorful pictures, short blurbs, and the low commitment required to read an article.  I've read very few books in my life, and even managed to get a bachelor's degree without reading all that much.  However, it's certainly not something I'm bragging about and I've always wished I would read more.

For some reason, the last several weeks have been very different for me.  I've always liked to read, but now I'm actually able to do it so I'm just going to run with it.  I've been devouring books faster than I can keep up with my magazines.  I'm not quite sure what is happening to me.  I even checked a book out from the library, which is unheard of, since the idea of finishing any book in less than 6 months is completely foreign to me.

My goal for April is to read as many books as I can (not counting Mason or Max's books) and then compile a list on my blog of the books I've read since the end of March (I started a little early).  I'm just choosing books as I go, with no particular rhyme or reason except that they pique my interest.  Once I have my final list compiled, I'll try my skills at analyzing my choices to see if there are any trends or insights I can garner.  Until then, I'm not thinking about it too much.  I'm just going to enjoy the prose.

This goal pertains to the "mental" health aspect of my overall goal.  They say reading makes you more intelligent.  Let's see if this works.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know this about you. This is a good goal. May I suggest Thin Places as a book for your list. You can ask Renee if you need a second opinion. :o) I think it will resonate with you. Love you my beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! i always have the same goal, and am also a non-reader. want to, just don't. read my real simple mags cover to cover, and am on the internet reading articles, and blogs etc, but books. nope. can't wait to see your list! do share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great goal! Excited for your new found love of books! Watch out...it can definitely become an addiction. We should totally start a book club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timi, who is the author? I've tried looking for the book, but a lot of different books with that title come up. I'd love to check it out!

    It's nice to know I'm in good company, Hanne! We'll see if I can keep it up longer than this month!

    Steph, I would love to do a book club! I was just thinking how fun that would and fun to get girls together. Let's talk about it!

    ReplyDelete