Thursday, June 02, 2011

Birthdays and Castles

It's been so long since I've blogged that my kids have grown up and I have grandchildren of my own.  Okay, obviously, that isn't true, but in the blogging world it's not that far off.  I've been overwhelmed, extremely busy and distracted.  I do have a lot of fun stuff to talk about, but it can't happen in one night.  I did want to let you all know that I am still alive and have missed you too!  

The big event of my life recently was a Memorial Day weekend road trip to visit our dear friends, the Nudd's, in North Carolina.  We've missed them terribly since they left around the new year.  We did some pretty intense hiking, played at the pool, saw where the movie "The Last of the Mohicans" was filmed (a Hibbs' family favorite), and I had an incredible birthday present from Maria! Here's what it was: We spent the day, just us two girls, at The Biltmore Estate, which is the French Chateau-style home built by George Vanderbilt.  It is literally a castle, and is the largest private residence in the country.  The 2 most incredible statistics I found out about it, was that George built it when he was a 33 year old bachelor, and that it has 43 bathrooms.  Don't worry, pictures will come later...although, we weren't allowed to take any inside.  Boo. :(  Anyway, our day started with luxurious pedicures at the Biltmore Inn before we moseyed over to the "house" (I'm not sure how they get away with calling it that) where we took a tour (we even sprung for the audio tour) and walked around the vast gardens.  The whole estate is an incredible showcase of extravagance, art, history, and also of a loving family.  After our tour, we indulged in some pastries at the European style cafe/bakery in the old carriage house courtyard.  It felt like I imagine it would if I was sitting in a little cafe in France!  It was so peaceful, relaxing and like a dream come true.  It helps that I'm obsessed with all things French and castle-related.  I could go on and on about it, but I'll stop for now, at least until I post the pictures.  Thank you, Maria, for giving me an incredible birthday surprise and more importantly, for being a wonderful, true friend.  The day wouldn't have been half as fun if I wouldn't have experienced it with you!  

By the way, for those of you wondering, I turned 31, and it actually feels pretty good!

Pictures and more to come later!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for blogging and castles! Can't wait for pictures. I think you are neat ~t

    ReplyDelete