Sunday, June 12, 2011

Playing Catch-up

I haven't forgotten that I promised a list of the books I'd read for my last monthly goal of reading (and beyond).  I can't just leave it at that without a saying a little something about myself and books.  It's not been an easy relationship for me. This resolution was a big step because I never used to read books for my own enjoyment.  

I always thought people who read books were intelligent, cool, and something I would never be. I've always loved to read, but my reading has largely consisted of Us Weekly, people.com, a lot of magazines and numerous news websites. I have always had a hard time focusing long enough to get through more than one or two chapters in a book before I became bored. I would either give up, or force my way through just because I had gone at least halfway and I "needed" to finish it so I could add it to the meager list of books I'd read. Somehow it made me feel good about myself.  Even through college, I managed to get through without reading much of anything and that's saying a lot for being a communications major. Thankfully, I'm able to focus much better now than when I was in college and one of the things I enjoy most is climbing in to bed early and opening up my current read.

Here are some of the books I've recently enjoyed, in no particular order:

"Bittersweet", by Shauna Niequist
"Organizing for your Brain Type"
"Somewhere Inside", by Laura and Lisa Ling
"The Great Chicago Fire"
"Abraham Lincoln: An Extraordinary Life"
"Biltmore: An American Legacy"


I'm currently reading, "Notes on My Travels", by Angelina Jolie, and "Organized Simplicity".  A few books next in line are: "The Case For The Creator" by Lee Strobel, "The World Is Bigger Now" by Euna Lee, "Cold Tangerines" by Shauna Niequist.

Do you like to read?  Read anything good lately?  Please share a comment!

P.S. Timi, I need the author still for the book you suggested a while ago.  I wasn't able to find it.


1 comment:

  1. (I had to go back and see what I had recommended...) Thin Places by Mary DeMuth. Another one that is a story that is deeply impacting is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Thin Places is a true story, Redeeming Love is an allegory of Gomer and Hosea set in Gold Rush days. Excellent reading! Love you muchly!

    ReplyDelete