Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Traveling Mercies

I'm sitting at Sea-Tac (Seattle/Tacoma Airport), waiting for my flight to take me home to Chicago and home to my 3 boys.  I've had a wonderful visit and girl's weekend with my family in Washington. I am sitting by the window, relishing in my chance to travel alone with no kids (I've already finished one book), and also taking some time to reflect on how it's entirely possible that I could have come home to none of my family, or even to one or more of them in a hospital room. Here's the story:

I sent Mike a text once I arrived at my gate at Chicago Midway to let him know I'd made it through security and to my gate with no problems.  In a minute or so, he called me.  He told me how he had, just moments before, been awakened as he was driving our boys in the van up the side of an embankment off the freeway. He said the vehicle was tilted far to one side and had he not been able to turn it at that moment, that soon it likely would have rolled.  Somehow, he was able to navigate the van back down toward the road and swerving between construction barrels, enter back into traffic safely.  Whew!  This is where the scary part ends and the lighthearted parts can begin since everyone was fine.

First I must say that, I was still trying to absorb how this could all happen within 20 minutes of my hugging, kissing, and saying goodbye to my family at the curb. Obviously, I was immensely thankful that no one was hurt and that although I still had travel ahead of me, my boys, who are my life, were spared from whatever might have been. What a shock to me, though, as I thought I was the one who needed "traveling mercies".

So here's where my laughter came in to relieve the adrenaline coursing through my veins.

First, I thought of what it must have looked like to any other drivers on the freeway who noticed the illogical path of our van. It is not an SUV, or a Jeep, or a Monster Truck.  Any of those would have looked odd, but maybe not quite as ridiculous as a silver Honda minivan driving off the shoulder, up the embankment, turning, then playing obstacle-course through construction barrels, before entering traffic again like nothing had happened.  I suppose driving on the freeway gets boring so why not enjoy a little change of scenery, right?

Second, after Mike had safely returned the van to the freeway, Mason piped up in his extremely energetic tone, saying, "What was THAT?" I know exactly how he must have said it and I laugh every time I imagine what he must have been thinking as dad was off-roading in the van.  He probably also thought that although mom doesn't do that, driving with dad was way more fun!

I love the funny parts of the story only because my family was safe. Needless to say, I've prayed more than usual as I enter every leg of my journey away and back to home.  I'm praying that God will guide the pilots and crew in their decisions and thoughts, that He will send angels to guide our aircraft, and that He will lead us as we attempt to manipulate ourselves through the world He created. I am desperate to be reunited with the three people who mean everything to me, who, barring any other unexpected events, will be picking me up tonight in good health.

If you like, send up a prayer today for someone who is traveling, or might need an extra boost.  It DOES matter!

I'll share more stories and also some photos from my trip once I'm home.  Signing out from Seattle!

2 comments:

  1. First, I'm glad your boys are OK.

    Second, I like the way you write. It's so casual and real and yet so well expressed. It is quite delightful to read your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and I've just caught up on your blog, which is super fun to read, by the way. I had no idea you were Steve's donor. I recently heard about his situation, and what you are doing is incredible. What a gift! Don't worry, I'm sure he's most excited about becoming part Canadian.

    ReplyDelete