Sunday, September 26, 2010

Spray-paint projects

If you know me, you know that I love to use spray paint.  I will spray paint almost anything in my house, just because I can.   I've spray-painted many peices of furniture, and then re-sprayed them when I wanted a new color.  There was the table and chairs I painted blue right after we got married.   A few years later, I sprayed them black.  Then there was the cute little blue shelf I found in a trash dumpster when we lived in an apartment in Denver.  I sprayed it black a while later, and then recently topped it with white.  A pedestal has gone from gray, to black, to white.  A pine-colored side table is now black.  Four brown baskets have a new life in white.  Three brown picture frames became red.   A white bathroom shelf unit was more suited with green. In fact, I once spray-painted my dishwasher (complete with heat-safe appliance paint, and plastic paint for the controls) and saved my white kitchen cabinets from having to clash with its shade of warm almond.  Truly, I do not discriminate when it comes to items I choose to spray paint.   Anything that comes in my house is considered fair game for a color change.  You might want to keep your eyes on your shoes and handbags.

Here are a couple of my latest spray-paint projects:

This is a mirror I bought at a garage sale for $3.  I decided it would go better with my decor if it was white.  I had plenty of white primer from another project  so I decided to use it, without paint, for the mirror since I'd need to prime it anyway.

 I covered the mirror with magazine pages to protect it from the spray. 

I sprayed the frame from all viewable sides. 

Looks clean and fresh in my hallway!

I have two of the flower arrangements pictured below that sit on the mantle above our fireplace.  I decided the vases were too dark and were attracting too much attention to themselves.  I wanted to tone them down a bit.  

Here's what they looked like before.  A little too orange-brown.

I wrapped the floral part with upside-down plastic bags and tucked the handles inside.

First, they get a coat of primer.

Then, with their final paint color, they blend in much better with the fireplace.

 It's as easy as the three "P's":  Prepare, Prime, Paint.  You should try it.  I can't find a cheaper, faster or more satisfying way to update your home decor.  And there you have it! 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know of your love affair with spray paint. How marvelous! You do good work and now I'm inspired! Can't wait to see you! Love, me

    ReplyDelete