Sunday, January 03, 2010

Body Percentages

I tried the Body Fat Percentage and Body Water Percentage functions on my new scale this morning. According to the scale, my body fat is 27.5% and my body water is 54.5%. These number didn't mean much to me so this evening I've done a little research to determine how I should use these numbers.

I reviewed a number of websites I found on Google regarding body fat percentage and they varied a bit on what percentage would be ideal for me. Charts for body fat percentage are based on your gender and age. The charts varied based on which website I was looking at, but most were around the same general range. If I take an average of their suggestions I think I'd like to see my body fat percentage close to 21.

Body water percentage is something I haven't heard much about so I wanted to do a little more research. I again used Google and learned that the more fat you have in your body and the less lean muscle mass, the higher your body water percentage will be. Of course, the opposite is also true, that the less body fat and more lean muscle mass you have, the lower your body water percentage will be. It doesn't mean you don't want a lot of water in your body, but rather that you don't want to carry it in your fat cells. Muscle cells hold more water than fat cells. I'm going to shoot for a body water percentage close to 50%, based on average recommendations.

One thing is certain, drinking water is very important. The more water you drink, the easier you make it on your body. Fat and other wastes are released out of your body more effectively when you stay hydrated. It's also important for me to drink a lot of water since I'm breast-feeding Max.

No workout today, but I'm already thinking of what I'll do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment