Friday, January 01, 2010

Ready, Set, Go!

Today started out just like the first day of any new journey should. I felt excited and ready to burn some calories despite ending 2009 last night with pizza and popcorn.

I haven't been officially cleared by my doctor to resume exercising after my surgery (cesarean section on November 13). I go in on January 7 to see her. Until then, I am going slow but still starting my habit of being more active.

This morning I left Mike to watch the boys and I went to the gym. I had to reinstate my membership since I had been placed on a medical leave (as had my dues). After I'd completed that, I headed upstairs to the treadmills. I walked for 35 minutes and then used an abdominal cruncher to start working on my flabby abs. If any of you saw the pictures of my stomach taken the week before I delivered Max, you'll understand why I say that. I have had two large babies that took up a lot of space.

After my workout, I headed to Target where I wanted to look at their scales. I was excited to find quite a variety. Apparently I'm not the only one hoping to get in shape this year! Ha! I found one I really liked that not only measures weight, but also measures body fat and body water. It sends a harmless signal through the fat and muscle tissues in my body to calculate the numbers. I think this feature will be helpful in gauging my progress.

Today is a big day for another reason. As it is the start of my journey, I had to do my first official weigh-in. Yikes. 182.4 pounds. Sharing my weight with anyone other than myself is not exactly comfortable for me, but I have decided that it will help hold me accountable. Tomorrow I'll use the features on my new scale and start tracking my body fat and body water as well. Tonight I got it set up by entering the fact that I'm a female, my age (29) and my height (5'11").

I started a notebook for myself tonight to track my measurements so I can easily look back and see my progress. I also calculated each quarterly goal weight and monthly goal weight. Before Christmas and New Year's I had been hovering around 180 pounds so I had based my goals on that weight. Now that I've gained 2.4 pounds since then (thank you, Holiday meals), I will actually be attempting to lose a total of 32.4 pounds. (My goals are set up to get me down to 150 pounds.) My first goal is to be 177.5 pounds by January 31. I'm going to try to get the extra 2.4 pounds off right away and get on track with my initial plan.

Thank you to those of you who have signed on to follow my blog. I'm excited to share my progress with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment