Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Feelings...nothing more than feelings?

Today (Tuesday, the 5th) has been kind of a weird day. It's way too late for me to be up, but here I am.

I got in another good workout of walking. I did feel some uncomfortable pulling on my incision, so I think I will be taking tomorrow off from exercise - but I wouldn't have time for a workout anyway. By the way, my weight this morning was 180.2 and I'm feeling great about that. My goal for this month was to get down to 177.5 and I'm already about halfway there with the majority of the month left.
Tomorrow morning I'm taking the boys to storytime at Barnes & Noble, then I'm off to the Regional Human Resources Christmas Party at Maggiano's. This is my first work function since having Max, and I hope it's going to be a fun one. My good friend Maria will be watching the boys, as well as her two kiddos (she's a saint) while I'm at the party.

Part of the reason this has been a "weird" day is that I'm a little anxious about going to this party, but I'm not really sure why. I do feel like I need to go and I am excited to see everyone... I wonder if my trepidation is because I don't feel quite ready to be actually back in the office yet, and I'm afraid of how this will affect me. I've been having such a wonderful time with my boys and I know going back to work will be a change. I'm going to try to forget about all that tomorrow, though, and just try to enjoy seeing my coworkers and have a fun time. It's funny, I never thought I could be a full-time stay-at-home mom, but I've been having so much fun!

One of my struggles is emotional eating. I think I did a little of that tonight while trying to work through these feelings. Anyone have ideas on how to overcome emotional eating? I'll have to do some research on another night and see what I can find.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Liss,

    I never thought I could be a stay at home mom either but am really loving it. I cook more creatively, I play more, the house may be cleaner...? I didn't think working 2 days a week took so much emotional energy but it did. With the emotional eating - I find what works best for me is a cup of tea and a sympathetic ear. The ear helps me process and the tea gives my hands and mouth something to do. Love you, tdb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly relate to your experience of staying at home vs work. The second one really changes the game, or did for me. You are getting into the groove. I know with Hudson, I was begging to get back to work and started a new job in ER at a new hospital when he was 8 weeks old. I was having a lot of trouble adjusting to being at home with hudson, and he was super SUPER fussy. But he got older, and it got to be a lot more fun, and I started to realize that my attitude totally affected the way my kids days, and even my husbands went, and working was not giving me a good heart at home. When Claire came along, I was devastated to return to work at 6 weeks. I have always worked in some capacity, but have been lucky enough that I only have to work a day or maybe 2 a week. But it is my constant struggle, and I would walk away from it in a heartbeat, if finances allowed. You are no doubt a fantastic mother. Claire was a much easier go for me. I was much less stressed, and felt I could tackle whatever she was going to throw at me.

    As far as emotional eating, I think I have a PhD in that. Let me know what you find out! :) I told myself I wanted to lose 20lbs by hudson's birthday, and 20 more by claires. Not exactly on track to achieve that. And not really sure what my problem is, but I am TOTALLY unmotivated. I made cookies today, and sit here munching them as i'm writing you about wanting to loose weight. I'm retarded. You go girl! :) Maybe checking in on you will motivate me, though I think you look FANTASTIC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for your kind words!

    Timi, I appreciate your thoughts and advice. Tea sounds great. Too bad you aren't closer so you could be my ear! Love you!

    Hanne, it does feel good to know I'm not the only one who does that! Save a cookie for me. :) Ha! One thing that keeps me sane with the whole work thing is knowing they are being cared for by an incredible lady while I'm at the office. We'll see how it goes when I am actually back at work (not just working from home). It may be harder than I realize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want an interesting exploration into the whole emotional eating check out the book, "The End of Overeating." Very interest how the brain operates and works with emotions to induce overeating. Might be helpful if you like reading and can find the time:)

    ReplyDelete