Monday, October 21, 2013

Day 21. It's a zoo out there.

It really didn't feel like a Monday, today. Mike had the morning free and Mason had no school, so we took advantage and headed out, as a family, to one of our favorite breakfast spots, Egg Harbor Cafe. After Mike headed to work, the boys and I took off for the zoo.

I've been wanting to take the boys to the zoo for several months because we haven't been there in several years, and I knew they would love it. So, today was the day! We spent over 6 hours trying to see as many animals as we could. I didn't take time to edit the photos from today, but I had to share them anyway.
The first animal we saw, a pygmy hippopotamus.

"Mommy! Look! A crocodile!"

See that grizzly? Here, he kept a safe distance.

And then he hobbled over, gaining speed, and then stood half-way up and leaning in, literally hit the window right where my boys were standing, with his gigantic. bigger-than-my-head, paw. We all jumped! And when we caught our breath, we all laughed. Nervously. It totally freaked me out, but it didn't scare the boys away. Then he did it again. And we all jumped, again. Poor bear. He needs something else to do.

He's ready to be a grizzly bear.

We stopped to play at the playground. This was the perfect day to go to the zoo. No one was there. No lines, no waiting, active animals...perfect.

 They loved the penguins.

When they see these head-hole photo options around the zoo, they go running for them.

Cheese!

He loved these colorful birds.

And here I thought he was getting so big. Haha.

The snow leopard was Max's favorite animal today.

You can't tell, but there's a lion in the background. This was on our must-see list today.

Can you tell who doesn't want to be in pictures?

Look at this little jokester. 

A final picture, with an ode to the missing doesn't-want-to-be-photographed brother. 

It was a wonderful day. And SO great to have my big school boy home to go somewhere fun with us. I miss going places with all three of us. Things change a lot once kids start school, and of course it's wonderful that he's in school learning so much, but I do miss our fun excursions all together. That made today, even more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment