Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Day 22. Snow.

We had our first snow of the season today, with a high of 39. Just three weeks ago we were having 80 degree days and wearing shorts and tanks. Now we are hurriedly unpacking our coats and boots and remembering how cozy a long sweater feels with a bulky coat wrapping it tightly. I love living in a place with seasons, but usually they don't change so quickly. I could have enjoyed a few more weeks of 60s and 70s.

Mason is very independent these days and this morning on our way to school I realized we forgot to pack his warm winter jacket for recess. He had his uniform cardigan with him, but all his uniform shirts are short-sleeved. He had a wool coat in the car that I tried to get him to take as I dropped him off, but he didn't want it. I figured he'd get really cold and wish he'd have taken the coat and then next time he'd be sure to follow my "wise" advice. Ha, wishful mommy-thinking.

As Max and I drove to pick him up later in the day, I started worrying about him standing outside in the chilly rain (snow had turned to rain by this point) waiting for me with no coat. Then I saw him, and sure enough, not only did he have no coat on, but he didn't even have his cardigan on! He was wearing his short sleeved shirt in the 39 degree rainy weather! (Apparently, he does not take after me.) He must have lost his cardigan, right? Or he couldn't find it? Poor boy, he must be miserable and freezing. He will be SO relieved to get in the warm car. I pulled up, he got in the car and I asked him where his cardigan was. "In my backpack." What??? Then I asked him if he was cold. "No." Oh, wow, ok. Totally cool and non-chalant, this guy. It was almost like he was saying "Why would I need a coat when it's so balmy out there?" Or more likely, and this is sort of my scary reality, it was actually more like, "I've got this mom. I'm big now and I can kind of take care of myself."

And now I see, I get to let him spread his wings and look a little higher, even if he's not ready to fly away yet.  He's starting to stretch, test the boundaries, and build his confidence. It's weird and wonderful. And truthfully, he is ready, even if I'm not sure I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment